Camp Noah offering free summer camp for children affected by disaster | News
NORMAN, OK — Camp Noah is a camp for elementary-aged children in communities impacted by disaster and they would like to invite parents to register their children to participate in the program June 24th – 28th in Norman.
They have space for up to 60 campers for this fully funded camp.
Of all the people affected by disaster, children are among the most emotionally vulnerable. Children often react to their disaster experience with increased fear (especially of the weather), sadness / depression, grief for what was lost, nightmares, acting out, regressive behaviors, fear of sleeping alone and separation anxiety.
Camp Noah’s Summer Day Camp Program partners with local communities to provide a safe, caring and fun environment where children can process their disaster experience. Campers build important resiliency skills within the familiarity of their own communities, using a proven curriculum led by trained staff.
Owned and operated by Minnesota’s largest human services non-profit organization, Lutheran Social Service of MN, Camp Noah has been helping children affected by disasters since 1997.
Camp Noah has been hosted in 22 states and been recognized nationally for its achievements in responding to a wide range of natural and human-caused disasters.
Since becoming a national program in 2006, Camp Noah has:
• Facilitated more than 250 camps nationwide.
• Served more than 8,000 children and their families.
• Trained and equipped more than 3,500 staff volunteers and local site coordinators.
Camp Noah is coming to Oklahoma next week, June 24th – 28th, 2013!
Any elementary age child qualifies to participate.
It’s June 24th through the 28th, 2013 (Monday—Friday, 9:00 am – 3:00 pm. Doors open at 8:00 am) at University Lutheran Church, 914 Elm Ave, Norman, OK
Camp Noah is FREE for campers; each child will receive over $150 in supplies, crafts, and gifts. Transportation, breakfast and lunch is provided.
Register today – space is limited! You can register here online.
Upcoming Events near Norman
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Norman schools run last minute inspections before storm season hits.
- Local museum offers a whole week of activities for spring break
- University of Oklahoma to offer FREE course on the Chemistry of Beer
- UPDATE: Alabama mom identified, second video surfaces
- OKC Man charged with molesting a 13-year old girl